Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Re-Purposed Linens and Lace











Rainy Day in Georgia !!! It has been a hot muggy rainy day today. My little shop is not very busy when the weather is like this, so I thought I would browse through some of my favorite books on my bookshelf.


I pulled two of my favorites. "Linens and Lace" By Tricia Foley and "Living with Lace" By Bo Niles. Both have beautiful photos and are full of ideas and helpful hints on the use, care and cleaning of linens and lace.


I just love to re-purpose vintage linens and lace, especially when they are damaged in some way and have outlived their original use. We all know that with a needle and thread and a little ingenuity we can fashion lovely items for our home or for gifts.


I like to simplify my re purposing. A hanky or napkin can be lined with a bit of bridal tulle and filled with lavender buds then gathered up and tied with a pretty ribbon for a sweet sachet. What could be easier or make a lovelier gift for someone special.


A luncheon cloth can be placed diagonally over a curtain rod for a valance. Three or four napkins can also be lined up across a curtain rod for another variation of a valance.


A large tablecloth can be used as a bed coverlet. a table runner can be folded in half lengthwise and makes a dainty mantle cover. The possibilities are endless............

Wishing you much sunshine, Carol

3 comments:

  1. How lovely a presentation. TY for sharing. My kind of living & loving. Have a beautiful day.

    Pop over & visit my friend Gail's 2d day of blogging. She has beautiful creations ...
    shabbycottageshoppe.blogspot.com
    TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol,
    Thanks soo much for coming to visit mee.. I LoVe your beautiful "linens and lace" post !! I can never have enough of either !! I Too, drape them over everything I can.. They are just so feminine and charming..Hoping your day to be a fun,creative one !!
    hugs ~tea~xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Carol,
    I love vintage lace and linens, too. They make a home so cozy and inviting. I loved your ideas for using them and the lovely photos from your books, too. Have a beautiful evening. Vicki

    ReplyDelete